Rationale & Aims of Writing
At Prince Rock Primary School, writing is integral to every element of our curriculum with explicit and intrinsic links made to the teaching of oracy and reading.
We aim to:
- Use a range of writing strategies throughout the school to develop our children’s writing skills which support the depth and breadth of our writing curriculum.
- Use both scheduled and responsive interventions to support all of our children, including those with SEND and EAL.
- Using a LAT wide assessment tool provides us with detailed information about specific weaknesses and difficulties. This allows us to provide high-quality first support through the use of lesson time, as well as the careful scheduling of interventions.
In direct reference to National Curriculum and Ofsted expectations, we will ensure that:
- Pupils acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for writing
- Pupils appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage and apply ideas gathered from their wider reading to their writing.
- Pupils write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- Teachers and teaching assistants provide extra practise through the day for the children who make the slowest progress (the lowest 20%) through responsive and scheduled interventions
- Teachers instil in children a love of writing through fiction, non-fiction and poems