Home Page

PRPS SEN Information Report


1.How can I let the school know if I think my child is struggling at school?


If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

·         If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Inclusion Coordinator (INCo).

·         The school’s Family Liaison Officer (FLO)

·         The school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.


2.How will school let me know if they have concerns that my child may not be progressing at school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail, usually over a cup of tea/coffee! This will involve the class teacher and the INCo.

They will

·         Listen to any concerns you may have.

·         Plan any additional support your child may need.

·         Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.

Gaining the best outcomes for your child will always be the priority.


3. If my child does have Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities, (SEND) who is the best person that I can talk to at school?

The class teacher is always your FIRST stop. They are responsible for:  

·         Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Inclusion Co-ordinator (INCo) know as necessary.

·         Writing Pupil Progress targets/Individual Education Plans (IEPs), based on the small, achievable steps and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Your child will also have a child friendly version of their IEP so that they aware of what they have to achieve.

·         If your child does not have an academic difficulty but has a behavioural difficulty, a Behaviour Support Plan (BSP) may be written as above.

·         Or if you child may need support socially or emotionally, a Pastoral Support Plan (PSP) may be written as above 

·         Personalised teaching and support for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.

·         Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.


The Inclusion Coordinator: Miss A Cowan

Responsible for

·         Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)

·         Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy/SEN information Report

·         Ensuring that you are

i) involved in supporting your child’s learning

ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

·         Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.

·         Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.

·         Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

·         The SEN Team consists of the INCO and an experienced, outstanding class teacher Mrs. M Watts. They work together for one morning a week to address SEND issues.  Mrs. Watts is teaching her class outside this time, within her 3 days a week at school.

Gaining the best outcomes for your child will always be the priority.



The Head teacher: Mr. S Spry

Responsible for

·         The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.

·         The Head teacher will give responsibility to the INCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

·         The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEN Governor: Mrs. L Jobe

Responsible for

·         Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.




4. What training or specialist expertise does your staff have around SEN ?

All class teachers are qualified (QTS) and operate quality first teaching within every class. The school has also gained an ‘outstanding’ level of teaching and learning in 2010, 2012 and 2013.

The INCo’s job is to support the class teacher in supporting all children.

The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC) and speech and language difficulties.

·         Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the Communication Interaction Team (CIT) service.

·         Prince Rock also has access to learning mentors, a play therapist or counsellors who can support focus on the social and emotional development of your child. It  is delivered 1:1, paired or in a group as appropriate, either in or out of class.

For your child, this means:

·         That all teachers & teaching assistants have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class. Our mentors, counsellors & play therapist also support this.

·         That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Opportunities to extend their learning are also expected in every lesson.

·         There are different methods of teaching in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning where photographs record this.

·         Strategies from Building Learning Power (BLP) are used constantly to promote skills within the areas of Thinking, Trying, Together & Tools. This gives your child additional opportunities to succeed with their learning before asking an adult for help.

·         Other specific strategies (which may have been suggested by the INCo or outside agencies e.g. Speech & Language Therapist) may be in place to support your child to learn.

·         Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child may have a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

Interventions may be

·         run in the classroom or a group room.

·         run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA) including phonics based learning, thorough reading catch-up programmes led by our specialist Reading Teacher, Ms. F Bevan.

·         Run by a learning mentor


Specialist groups run by outside agencies

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the INCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may come from

·         Local Authority services, such as the Communication Interaction Team (CIT),  Plymouth Advisory Learning service (PALs), Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).

·         Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EP), Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), Child Development Centre (CDC), SPOKES- reading program,

What could happen:

·         You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional in order to receive some advice/support within school, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) or Educational Psychologist (EP) This would be after a discussion with yourself & based on your child’s lack of progress evidence. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school. Again, always seeking the best outcome for your child.

·         The specialist professional would then work with your child in school to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support. This will also be shared with you.


c)  Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong and have been identified by the local authority.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), from September 2014, previously known as a Statement of Educational Needs. This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will receive support from a professional outside the school. This may be from

·         Local Authority services such as the Communication Interaction Team, (CIT), Plymouth Advisory Learning service (PALs), Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).

·         Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service, Pyscology Service (EP), Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), Child Development Centre (CDC), Multi-Agency Support Team (MAST)

For your child this would mean

·         The school or you can request that Local Authority to carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

·         After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.

·         After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).

·         If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

·         The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.

·         An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

·         You will be involved throughout the process with a team leader to coordinate the process. Reviews will then be made annually as to whether this support will continue, terminate or alter.


5. Where can I find information about the school/setting’s approach to pupils with SEN?

  • Look at the local authority’s local offer. Information about us is available from:


Plymouth City Council



             Tel: 01752 668000




  • Read our SEN information Report.


School’s contact telephone number: 01752 257698

Address: Embankment Rd, Prince Rock, Plymouth PL4 9JF

  • Read our prospectus and policy on Inclusion.
  • Talk to us!


6. Where can I find information about the local Authority’s local offer for children and young people with SEN and their families?


Via their website

Plymouth City Council



             Tel: 01752 668000



7. What support can the school provide for my child with SEND?


  • The school budget, received from Plymouth LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the  INCo  discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

the children getting extra support already,

the children needing extra support,

the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a register and then the support available is recorded on the provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

The school also runs various life skills like anti-bullying week with STOP being an on-going follow up strategy, (Several Times On Purpose) so pupils gain a good understanding of bullying. There are also life skills, London trips, residential/outside activities trips, theatre experiences, swimming, enrichment days, learning mentor, counsellor & play therapist support to name a few.

The school is committed to inclusion and also has enrichment opportunities for pupils with talents and gifts in other areas. Tell us if you think your child has a talent!


8. How will the teaching staff adapt to my child’s needs?

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

·         Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

·         Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

·         Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs


9. How does the school assess the pupils especially my child with SEND?

·         Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by their class teacher.

·         Their progress will be reviewed formally with the class teacher and INCo every term in reading, writing and numeracy.

·         Where necessary, children will have an IEP based on targets set by outside agencies specific or by the class teacher/INCo to meet their needs. Targets will be set to accelerate learning and close any gaps. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgments assessed and a future plan made. This will be recorded on their IEPs.

·         The child will also be asked for their thoughts on their progress/efforts that term& recorded on their child friendly version IEP.

·         The progress of children with a statement or EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with parents & all adults involved with the child’s education.

·         At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of Y2 and Y6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATs). This is something the government requires all schools to do; the results that are published nationally.

·         In Years 3, 4 & 5, optional tests are used at the end of the year to assess progress alongside the teacher’s own assessments.

·         Progress writes are also used each term within Literacy.

·         Regular book scrutiny and lesson observations will be carried out by the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.


10. How accessible is Prince Rock Primary to my child with SEND?

·         The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.

·         The school has easy access and double doors and ramps.

·         The front desk can be made accessible to wheelchair users upon request as the doors can be open and a member of staff can come to you.

·         There is a disabled toilet on each floor with a lift to all floors.

·         We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

·         After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.

·         Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.


11. What support is available from your school for parents of pupils with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

·         The INCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

·         The Family Liasion Officer is also available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

·         All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. If you wish to go through the report with the INCo, you are more than welcome.

·         Personal progress targets /IEPs/ PSPs/BSPs will be reviewed with your involvement every term.

·         Our home-school book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child as well as recording the reading/learning for that week.


12. If I am not happy with the provision at the school/setting, how can I share my concerns or make a complaint?

  • Talk to the INCo or FLO, (Miss A Cowan or TBA).
  • Discuss your concerns with the Head teacher, Mr S Spry
  • Speak to the SEN governor, Mrs L Jobe
  • Write to the chair of governors, Mrs C Bull c/o Prince Rock Primary School, Embankment Rd, Plymouth PL4 9JF

If you are still unsatisfied with the response, contact the local authority, Plymouth City Council under the SEN department